feature image

The US Continues to Dominate Pecan Consumption

The American Pecan Council staff has been collecting and reporting pecan data regularly for just over 6 months now. In this article we look specifically at pecan exports by country. While the trade war between the US and China continues to slow trade of in-shell pecan exports, the shelled pecan exports have been in high demand over the last 7 months. For the 7 months reported from September 2018 to March 2019 the US shipped just under 200 million pounds (C2I)*; of that 200 million pounds approximately 131.5 +/- million pounds were consumed domestically in the US making up 65.9% of all shipments domestically while 34.1% or just over 68 million pounds (C2I)* were shipped to foreign countries.

 

Shelled Pecans In-shell Pecans Total (Converted to In-shell) % of Total
Domestic Shipments 61,445,028 8,578,858 131,468,914 65.9%
Export Shipments 23,517,877 21,083,574 68,119,328 34.1%
Total Shipments 84,962,905 29,662,432 199,588,242 100%

 

Overall, shelled pecans dominated the shipments making up 85.1% of all pecans shipped whether foreign or domestic and in-shell accounting for the remaining 14.9% of all pecans shipped. Here in the US, shelled pecan shipments made up a whopping 93.5% of all pecans shipped domestically. The US continues to show strong domestic consumption which is no surprise.

  • high speed industrial pecan cracker

 

Shelled Pecans In-shell Pecans Total (Converted to In-shell)
Domestic Shipments 61,445,028 8,578,858 131,468,914
93.5% 6.5% 100%

 

When looking at only the export numbers, shelled pecans accounted for 69% at 23,517,877 pounds (C2I)* and in-shell pecans accounted for 31% of pecans exported from the US.

 

Shelled Pecans In-shell Pecans Total (Converted to In-shell)
Export Shipments 23,517,877 21,083,574 68,119,328
69% 31% 100%

 

The top 10 export countries made up 89.1% of all export shipments, while the top 5 countries made up 69.2% of all export shipments. It is important to note that for the purposes of this data, we have included Hong Kong and Vietnam in the China pecan shipments.

 

Country Lbs Percent of Total Exports
1 Mexico 13,544,932 19.9%
2 China 9,619,142 14.1%
3 Canada 8,880,218 13.0%
4 Netherlands 7,597,470 11.2%
5 Germany 7,509,903 11.0%
6 United Kingdom 5,339,744 7.8%
7 France 3,163,700 4.6%
8 Israel 2,172,900 3.2%
9 Japan 1,470,600 2.2%
10 Denmark 1,416,855 2.1%

 

*C2I – Converted to In-shell

To view the full data set, click here.